About the Canadian Spondyloarthritis Association
Who We Are
You are not alone!
The Canadian Spondyloarthritis Association (CSA) is a national association created to support people living with Spondyloarthritis (SpA), including ankylosing spondylitis (AS), psoriatic arthritis (PsA), enteropathic arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, and associated spondyloarthritis diseases.
A patient-led advocacy and education organization, we partner with patients, caregivers, and the broader medical community to connect fellow SpA patients with evidence-based information and resources throughout their whole-life health journey.
As vocal thought leaders and change agents, we are dedicated to making the patient journey better. We are actively working to eliminate the despair and frustration that comes with waiting years for a proper diagnosis. We are the only organization focused solely on Canadians living with Spondyloarthritis.
We are a patient-led advocacy and education organization, partnering with patients, caregivers, and the medical community to connect patients with evidence-based information and resources throughout their journey with Spondyloarthritis.
The knowledge and experience of our leadership and medical advisory board empowers patients to seek a diagnosis, make informed decisions about treatment, and live a better life.
The CSA was founded as the Canadian Spondylitis Association in 2005 by Dr. Robert Inman, a prominent Canadian rheumatologist, who saw the need for SpA patients to have a unified, national voice. CSA was incorporated as a non-profit organization in 2008, and Registered Charity in 2021.
In 2023, the Canadian Spondylitis Association changed its name to the Canadian Spondyloarthritis Association to reflect the global shift in terminology towards the use of Spondyloarthritis and to be inclusive of those who live with axSpA/AS as well as those who have other SpA conditions outside of axSpA/AS.
Vision: All people living with Spondyloarthritis can achieve their full health potential and live a better life.
Mission: To be the leading voice for the Spondyloarthritis community in Canada, educating, supporting and advocating for people living with Spondyloarthritis.
What We Do
Together with patients, healthcare professionals and caregivers, Canadian Spondyloarthritis Association is driven to help all who are affected by Spondyloarthritis (SpA) and their families by adhering to the following goals :
Education & Information
- Teaching SpA patients and their families to understand and manage their symptoms to reduce the impact of SpA on their lives
- Providing evidence-based information and resources to empower patients to make informed decisions about treatment options.
- Providing education and resources to healthcare professionals involved in the diagnosis and treatment of Canadians living with SpA.
- Promoting and supporting Canadian research in SpA that leads to better understanding of the disease and new, innovative treatment and care options. CSA has a longstanding partnership as a patient voice with the Spondyloarthritis Research Consortium of Canada (SPARCC)
- Representing the voice of SpA patients on national and international stages, including advocating for equitable access to treatment and care for all Canadians.
- Fostering a strong and vibrant community where people affected by SpA can learn, share their experiences and support one another.
- Equipping SpA patients to advocate for their own optimal healthcare.
- Helping fellow SpA patients live well and feel seen and heard by finding solutions rooted in a shared understanding of lived experiences.
- Guiding patients on all stages of their treatment journey, promoting early diagnosis and treatment.
Over the last decade, we have developed credible, valuable, and relevant resources for patients and healthcare professionals across Canada. We continue to grow our community and raise awareness of Spondyloarthritis with the public and healthcare professionals so that every patient can live life on their terms.
Want to Learn More?
Download our 2020-23 Strategic Plan
Our Board of Directors
The Canadian Spondyloarthritis Association (CSA) is proud to recognize our corporate partners who are instrumental in providing support to the CSA in order that we may continue to educate and advocate for our spondyloarthritis community.
Our Community Partners
The Canadian Spondyloarthritis Association (CSA) is grateful to be community partners with the following organizations: